Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Collegians > Michael Oehley appointed to the Medical Council of New Zealand

Michael Oehley appointed to the Medical Council of New Zealand

"After receiving Top Scholar in Year 13, it gave me the belief I was capable of anything."
11 Jun 2024
Collegians
Dr Michael Oehley and wife Claire
Dr Michael Oehley and wife Claire

Collegian Dr Michael Oehley (Hamilton 1997-2001) has been appointed as one of two Medical Advisors to the Medical Council of New Zealand, an organisation designed to protect public health and safety.

As an entity independent of doctors and the government, MCNZ holds considerable legal authority to ensure the implementation of best medical practices nationwide.

Michael's role is to provide clinical, regulatory, policy, and medical educational advice to New Zealand's primary national standards and assessment body for medical education and training. He will be engaged in research, policy development, as well as writing and editing some of the Medical Council of New Zealand's publications.

Dr. Oehley has spent the past six years as the Chief Examiner for the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners. In this capacity, Michael oversaw the written component of the summative assessment typically taken by registrars in their first year of the General Practice Education Programme.

After completing a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery in 2008, Michael was also awarded the Rotary Club of Auckland Scholarship for the Most Distinguished Graduate from the University of Auckland. He has also earned a Postgraduate Diploma in Travel Medicine and a Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Management.

During his time at St Paul’s Collegiate School, Michael was recognised as the Top Scholar in the 2001 New Zealand Secondary Schools Bursaries and Scholarship Examinations.

"I have always been driven from a young age to reach my full potential. After receiving the Top Scholar award in my final year of secondary school, it gave me the belief that I was capable of anything," says Michael.

Dr Kay Etheredge was an influential teacher and mentor to Michael during his time at St Paul’s. She taught Michael in Year 12 and 13 biology, and the two remain close friends to this day.

Despite his extensive medical commitments, it may surprise many that Michael finds time to provide medical care to the boarding community within St Paul’s. He attends clinics once or twice weekly and collaborates with the school nurses to oversee student health.

"It's a role I thoroughly enjoy and plan to continue for the medium to long-term, as my Medical Adviser role for the MCNZ allows me considerable flexibility. Adolescent health is a fascinating field, and it's rewarding to observe the students' development," says Michael.

Michael is deeply passionate about medical education, assessment, and upholding professional standards. As a general practitioner, patient advocacy is one of his driving forces. He has established his own clinic, The Longevity Doctor New Zealand, where he strives to find long-term health solutions.

"Ensuring my patients receive the best possible care is paramount to me. I'm interested in preventive medicine and the emerging field of longevity medicine, where preventive and lifestyle medicine intersect to pursue an extension of life free of disease."

Beyond his professional endeavours, Michael has authored four novels and holds interests in politics, history, movies, and sports. His wife, Claire, owns Compass Careers, and they have an eight-year-old son and a seven-year-old daughter. The family enjoys hiking, bushwalks, and traveling the world.

Similar stories

Ben Gilbert’s (Hall 2001-2005) journey from Hamilton to the bustling world of artificial intelligence (AI) at Microsoft is intriguing.  More...

Discover how Maddy Tims, Education & Project Manager at Thoroughbred Breeders Australia, is working in innovative progra… More...

As the 2024 Olympics nears, Tepaea Cook Savage (Sargood 2017-2019) is ready to head off to Paris with the New Zealand Se… More...

Cam McLean turned his passion for science and food into a career. Read about his journey from the dairy farm to making c… More...

The 2024 grand final of Super Rugby will feature a remarkable convergence of Collegians from St Paul’s Collegiate School… More...

Most read

Ben Gilbert’s (Hall 2001-2005) journey from Hamilton to the bustling world of artificial intelligence (AI) at Microsoft is intriguing.  More...

Discover how Maddy Tims, Education & Project Manager at Thoroughbred Breeders Australia, is working in innovative programmes and about her journey fro… More...

Judge Wilson Isaac, Roimata Templeton and Daniel Vettori will be honoured at a special dinner on Saturday, 12 October. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech