Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Collegians > Preeya's Journey: From Football Fields to the Legal World

Preeya's Journey: From Football Fields to the Legal World

"All the years of hard work, study, and sacrifice finally paid off, it was a very special moment."
Steven Barker and Preeya Reedy at the Twenty-year Reunion
Steven Barker and Preeya Reedy at the Twenty-year Reunion

Preeya Reddy (Harington 2003 – 2004) recently returned to the class of 2004’s twenty-year reunion, where her effervescent personality was a bright spark among more than 100 Collegians. Reconnecting with past friends and teachers, Preeya shared her journey since leaving St Paul’s.

Preeya, now a successful Employment Lawyer based in Hamilton, learned the values of teamwork, resilience, and leadership on the football fields of St Paul's Collegiate School. She has fond memories of her time as a member of the Girls' First XI Football Team under the guidance of her science teacher and coach, Mr Roger Bell. 

In the early 2000s, there were less than 70 girls at the school in years 12 and 13 (compared with more than 250 girls now) which made creating those teams an extra special experience. These early experiences laid the foundation for a dynamic career that has taken her from New Zealand to Miami and back.

After graduating from St Paul's, Preeya pursued Law and Commerce at the University of Otago. The thrill of obtaining her Practising Certificate and being admitted to the Bar in 2013, was a pivotal moment in her life. "All the years of hard work, study, and sacrifice finally paid off, and it was a very special moment that I will always remember," she reflects.

Preeya's career commenced at the Wellington Community Law Centre, where she honed her legal skills before venturing to Miami for an Overseas Experience (OE). Upon returning to New Zealand, she worked for Hamilton law firms during which time she met her future husband, Seamus, an Irishman on a working holiday visa.

The couple planned to marry in 2020, but the Covid-19 pandemic forced them to postpone.  During the pandemic, the couple enjoyed a stint in Ireland before returning to New Zealand in 2021 to be closer to Preeya’s family. Here they welcomed their son, Ethan, and later, their daughter, Amira, in 2023.

Now, as an Employment Lawyer at Rose Alchin and Associates, Preeya's days are filled with diverse cases, engaging both employees and employers. "A typical day involves dropping off my children at daycare before heading to work. The dynamic nature of my work keeps me fully engaged and fulfilled, as each day presents fresh challenges and opportunities," she says.

Reflecting on her journey, Preeya highlights the impact of her time at St Paul's Collegiate School. "One of the greatest highlights in my St Paul’s journey would be being a part of the girls' first eleven soccer team and having Mr Bell as our coach. I won't ever forget the collegial nature of the team and the banter. Mr Bell also was a great teacher, always encouraging us to have fun and to be the best version of ourselves," she reminisces.

Her advice to current St Paul’s students is to embrace their time at school fully. "Get involved. Make connections. These friends you will have for the rest of your life. So, make the most of it," she advises.

Reuniting with past students and staff after 20 years was a heartwarming experience for Preeya. "Seeing former classmates flourishing in their careers and nurturing happy families was wonderful. It was especially great catching up with certain people and teachers who always had a special place in my heart. These connections, I will always cherish and keep for a lifetime," she says, noting that one of those people was indeed Mr Bell.

From the football fields of St Paul's to the legal world of New Zealand, Preeya’s twenty-year journey has flown by. “We are all on this journey together, and it is the people we meet along the way who help us appreciate it.”

Photos gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Artist impression of The Hive

St Paul's is thrilled to announce an exciting addition to the Hamilton Campus. More...

Dr Lachlan Cooper (School 2007-2011) is passionate about encouraging keen learners to take up the challenge of working w… More...

Collegian Hannah Austin (Hall | Harington 2015-2017) has found her calling as the Agricultural Contracting Services and … More...

After an exceptional 41-year career at St Paul’s, Peter Gilbert (staff 1979-2020) isn't just retiring—he’s diving into a… More...

Julia Harney (née Frick, Harington 2009-2010) has always had an interest in healthcare and from a young age, she foresaw… More...

Most read

Ben Gilbert’s (Hall 2001-2005) journey from Hamilton to the bustling world of artificial intelligence (AI) at Microsoft is intriguing.  More...

Discover how Maddy Tims, Education & Project Manager at Thoroughbred Breeders Australia, is working in innovative programmes and about her journey fro… More...

Collegians Vern Cotter, Samisoni Taukei’aho and George Dyer

The 2024 grand final of Super Rugby will feature a remarkable convergence of Collegians from St Paul’s Collegiate School. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech