Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Collegians > Riding the Waves of Retirement: Peter Gilbert's New Chapter

Riding the Waves of Retirement: Peter Gilbert's New Chapter

After an exceptional 41-year career at St Paul’s, Peter Gilbert (staff 1979-2020) isn't just retiring—he’s diving into an adventure as Director of Coaching for the Whangamatā Surf Life Saving Club. 
Peter and Gay Gilbert
Peter and Gay Gilbert

Peter's connection to the Whangamatā Surf Life Saving Club dates back to his time at St Paul’s, where he trained students annually for the Rookie Lifeguard Award programme, formerly known as the Bronze Medallion. Each year, the surf club accommodated Peter and his students, providing examiners for the assessments. This 15-year relationship paved the way for his post-retirement involvement with the club.

After retiring to Whangamatā in 2020, Peter joined the club’s Board of Trustees, Peter’s enthusiasm and skills quickly earned him the voluntary role of Director of Coaching. Initially, this role focused on overseeing coaches working with paddlers. It has since expanded to encompass all coaching activities, from the youngest nippers to national-level competitors. Over the past two years, Peter’s leadership has brought harmony and structure to the club, enhancing communication between parents, coaches, and athletes.

Peter proudly says, “Despite being a small club with only 12 competitors, we have achieved remarkable results, notably finishing fifth in the country at the NZ Lifesaving Championships.” The coaches Peter supports are still young, aged 18-21, with one recently receiving the Emerging Coach of the Year award for the Eastern Region. These achievements reflect Peter's talent for creating a positive and effective environment.

The connection between the Surf Club and St Paul’s continues through Peter. Livingstone Building, which has done several building alterations at St Paul’s, is now completing renovations at the Surf Club, thanks to Peter's endorsement based on their work at the school, including renovating the boarding houses and Music Centre.

Peter has been a regular bach-stayer and surfer at Whangamata for more than 50 years, a beach that is popular with 250,000 swimmers in the summer. “These are the people we need to keep safe, and we do an incredible job!” says Peter. The Club has 80 lifeguards on duty, with another 10-15 paid professionals over the summer.

For four decades in the Physical Education department at St Paul’s, Peter’s passion for PE led him to shape the national curriculum, campaigning for its recognition as a vital academic subject. He played a key role in national education reforms, helping establish the Sixth Form Certificate in PE.

He was the founding Housemaster of Fitchett House in 1999 and held many roles at the school, including Assistant Headmaster, a post he held until the end. “I guess the reason I was there so long is that I had the opportunity to reinvent myself. All those reinventions along the way have been a lot of fun.”

Upon retiring to Whangamata, Peter was employed by the University of Waikato to visit high school trainee teachers from Coromandel to Tauranga. “In 2020, I visited 12-15 teachers a year. Now, there is only one in the whole of the Coromandel. It’s a shame,” says Peter.

One piece of advice Peter would give his 18-year-old self and others is, “Don’t be afraid to take risks.” He reflects, “When I left Waihi College as a school leaver, it was a safe option to go to Otago University and train as a teacher, but the University of Waikato was just ‘kicking off’ and was offering PE as a major in the ‘60s. I could still take French and English, which gave me extra strings to my bow, and this got me the job at St Paul’s.”

Peter remembers telling his dad, a principal at a state school, that he wanted to teach at an independent school. His dad said, “Don’t be an idiot! You’re moving out of the super scheme and all the security.” Peter did not listen and is glad he didn’t, as he had more than 40 years of an incredible career, loving seeing students grow outside the classroom.

Peter stays fit and lives life to the fullest, with three surfboards to keep him enjoying the waves. “I haven’t been out lately; firstly, there has been little surf, and secondly, the water temperature is down to 14 degrees, and I don’t have much on top to keep me warm these days.” Peter remains an active community member and enjoys traveling with his wife, Gay. They plan to travel to the South Island next year for a cycling and kayaking trip.

For those who remember Peter from his days at St Paul’s, his achievements and ongoing community involvement are a testament to the lasting influence a dedicated educator and mentor can have.

Similar stories

Aakonga o mua (Collegian) Sarah Wikaira (Harington | Hamilton 2019 - 2020) has been involved in advancing Maaori outcomes through her work while also serving on the Collegians Comm… More...

It’s a well-known fact at St Paul’s Collegiate School – everyone raves about the food. More...

Sam Grayling (Fitchett 2001-2005) leads the World Economic Forum’s Labour Market Insights in Switzerland. More...

Dr Lachlan Cooper (School 2007-2011) is passionate about encouraging keen learners to take up the challenge of working w… More...

Collegian Hannah Austin (Hall | Harington 2015-2017) has found her calling as the Agricultural Contracting Services and … More...

Most read

Artist impression of The Hive

St Paul's is thrilled to announce an exciting addition to the Hamilton Campus. More...

On Saturday 7 September, the St Paul’s Foundation officially launched its ambitious fundraising campaign for The Hive with a successful Black Tie Gala… More...

John, Michael and Hannah Austin

Collegian Hannah Austin (Hall | Harington 2015-2017) has found her calling as the Agricultural Contracting Services and Marketing Coordinator for maiz… More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech