Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Collegians > Championing Maaori Rights and Thriving in Professional Netball

Championing Maaori Rights and Thriving in Professional Netball

Grace Namana (Harington | Clark 2011-2013) balances two demanding careers—a lawyer for Te Arawhiti - Crown of Maaori Relations, and as a professional netball player for the Southern Steel.
11 Oct 2024
Collegians
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley

Her work at Te Arawhiti focuses on The Treaty of Waitangi, an area that resonates deeply with her. After completing her Law Degree from the University of Canterbury in 2021, Grace now advocates for Maaori rights and environmental issues, combining her legal expertise with her passions.

“I’ve always been interested in Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the environment. Working at Te Arawhiti allows me to engage with both, offering me opportunities in various legal fields I might not have explored elsewhere,” Grace says.

Though her legal career is now her priority, Grace’s path to professional netball has also been remarkable. Starting her journey in primary school, her dedication led her to the ANZ Premiership. After spending time in the UK’s Superleague with the Seven Stars, she debuted for New Zealand’s Southern Steel in 2020.

“It took three seasons as a training partner and moving to England to earn a full-time ANZ Premiership contract. My resilience and work ethic were key in getting me here,” she reflects.

Juggling her legal career with professional netball is no easy task, but Grace thrives in both fields. She is now focused on expanding her law career while making a difference in protecting Maaori rights.

Her time at St Paul’s Collegiate School shaped her journey, and she remains grateful for the support from staff like Mr Grant Lander, Mrs Helen Bradford, Mr Andrew Gibbs, Mrs Kate Lillie, and Ms Jennifer Purvis.

“I owe a lot to St Paul’s. The education and life skills I gained there have been crucial to my success today,” Grace says.

Grace remains committed to her netball career but is equally passionate about her work in law, forging a unique and impactful path that merges both her passions.

Similar stories

Awardees Dan Vettori, Roimata Templeton and Judge Wilson Isaac

Three remarkable Collegians were honoured at the 2024 Collegian Awards Dinner: Judge Wilson Isaac (School 1966–1970), Roimata Templeton (Harington | Hall 1985), and Daniel Vettori … More...

Aakonga o mua (Collegian) Sarah Wikaira (Harington | Hamilton 2019 - 2020) has been involved in advancing Maaori outcome… More...

It’s a well-known fact at St Paul’s Collegiate School – everyone raves about the food. More...

Sam Grayling (Fitchett 2001-2005) leads the World Economic Forum’s Labour Market Insights in Switzerland. More...

Dr Lachlan Cooper (School 2007-2011) is passionate about encouraging keen learners to take up the challenge of working w… More...

Most read

Artist impression of The Hive

St Paul's is thrilled to announce an exciting addition to the Hamilton Campus. More...

Aakonga o mua (Collegian) Sarah Wikaira (Harington | Hamilton 2019 - 2020) has been involved in advancing Maaori outcomes through her work while also … More...

Awardees Dan Vettori, Roimata Templeton and Judge Wilson Isaac

Three remarkable Collegians were honoured at the 2024 Collegian Awards Dinner: Judge Wilson Isaac (School 1966–1970), Roimata Templeton (Harington | H… More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech