Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Collegians > Collegians reconnect at reunion | 10 and 20 years

Collegians reconnect at reunion | 10 and 20 years

A sunny autumn afternoon set the tone for the Collegian Reunion for the classes of 2003-2004 and 2013-2014 on 6 April 2024.
Friends from the twenty-year reunion reconnect
Friends from the twenty-year reunion reconnect

There were more than 100 guests in attendance including current staff, the headmaster and past staff and students. It was a significant time for men and women to reconnect on campus and celebrate their lives since leaving St Paul’s Collegiate School. Collegians flew in from the South Island, Australia and America to attend the reunions. 

President of the Collegians Committee, past Collegian and current teacher at St Paul’s, Ryan McCarthy (Sargood 1993-1997) had the opening address to the group, where he shared his passion for keeping the community tight-knit. 

"There's a reason I am so involved with the community at St Paul's Collegiate School. I am passionate about teaching and want to leave the same impact that my teachers had on me while I attended St Paul's as a student,” says Ryan.  

Unfortunately, both headmasters from these eras were overseas with grandchildren and could not make the reunion, so speeches were presented on their behalf. Andrew Gibbs, a previous staff member, shared some thoughts from the previous Headmaster Mr Greg Fenton.

“Like me, I know that many things will have happened to you, and I hope that the majority of these experiences will have been positive and memorable. Tertiary education, apprenticeships, trade training, starting a business, buying a house, embarking on relationships and in many cases starting a family, will be all events that will have shaped your past 20 years. It is, therefore nice that you have been able to come together today to share with your colleagues from those school years, your respective journeys.”

Mr Craig Hardman shared a message from the most recent Headmaster, Mr Grant Lander. “One thing that I have learned over time is that it is the people that really make a school. Hopefully, several of your friends and teachers who shared your journey with you have left a real positive impact on you.”

Collegian Nathan Spitzer (School 2001-2003) reflected on what he has incorporated into his life since attending St Paul’s. Aside from keeping a tidy bedroom, thanks to his stint at Tihoi Venture School, Nathan always puts his family and friendships first.

“I lost a friend, Ben Khouri, from leukemia in 2011 and he motivated me to donate plasma and platelets for people that are sick and since then, I’ve completed nearly 250 donations,” Nathan shared with the group.  

All the speakers made similar references to the camaraderie and strong relationships they have maintained during and after their times within the St Paul’s community. The St Paul’s Marketing and Engagement Team is encouraging Collegians to put 10 and 20-year reunions into their diaries as these events can be expected to continue annually.

House and event photo gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Liz Lawrence in the classroom

Elizabeth Lawrence (Hamilton | Harington 2009-2010) wasn’t sure of her intentions beyond St Paul’s Collegiate School until she was in her Year 13 physical education class with Mr P… More...

Ida Carey art

Richard Harman (School 1961 - 1964) arrived at the Collegians Awards armed with a gift for the School—a self-portrait of… More...

The tyres on Rohan Knowles’s Nissan S13 Silvia shriek as he initiates the car sideways at up to 150 kmph. There’s no roo… More...

Jonty Rae

Jonty Rae (Fitchett 2008 - 2012) has filled a lot of chapters in his book of life. More...

Holly Ho (right) at work, helping people smile

Dentist and Collegian Holly Ho (Harington Day | Fitchett 2011 - 2013) has always been drawn to people’s smiles. More...

Most read

Liz Lawrence in the classroom

Elizabeth Lawrence (Hamilton | Harington 2009-2010) wasn’t sure of her intentions beyond St Paul’s Collegiate School until she was in her Year 13 phys… More...

An evening of networking for the men of St Paul's, dubbed 'After 5', gathered 120 men together to exchange ideas and make connections. More...

Ida Carey art

Richard Harman (School 1961 - 1964) arrived at the Collegians Awards armed with a gift for the School—a self-portrait of his cherished art teacher, Mi… More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech