Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Collegians > Nicola Pipe shines bright as top engineering student

Nicola Pipe shines bright as top engineering student

Nicola Pipe (Harington 2019) has always been keen to explore the path of engineering. As one of the few women in the profession, she is proud to share her story with others.
29 Jul 2024
Collegians
Nicole Pipe pictured with her award-winning invention
Nicole Pipe pictured with her award-winning invention

Nicola completed her Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours) with First Class Honours from the University of Waikato in 2023 and is currently pursuing a Diploma in Engineering Management. Being the only female in her cohort presented many challenges along the way.

“Being the only female was a challenging and unique experience. It was a good learning curve and constantly made me want to push myself to be a top student,” says Nicola.

During her final year of study, Nicola submitted an ‘ergonomic assisted strawberry harvester’ as part of her capstone project. In recognition of her innovative prototype, Nicola was awarded the Technicians Choice Award and a ‘Highly Commended’ for the most impactful project from the University of Waikato.

“I got to apply my love of engineering and my passion for helping others by designing, building, and field-testing a prototype solution that produced positive results in improving the ergonomics of the workers. Receiving two awards for my work was an added bonus,” says Nicola.

In addition to her tertiary studies, Nicola also completed a two-year internship at Gallagher in the Research and Development Mechanical Department. Here, she was able to implement her theoretical knowledge in a world-renowned business.

Nicola’s future academic goals include working toward a chartership, as it’s the next step in proving one's engineering knowledge. She hopes to offer encouragement to others considering a similar career. “I strongly encourage other students to give engineering a go, as it opens so many doors. Your engineering degree is like a passport; once you have it, you can go anywhere.”

Nicola's time at St Paul’s Collegiate School allowed her to explore product design in the graphics classroom. With strong support from Mr Andrew Harries, assured Nicola to take up her mechanical engineering pathway.

“I was lucky to have so many teaching staff supportive of my goals including Mr Harries, Mr Bell, Dr McGrath and Mrs Lock. All of them were passionate and provided invaluable encouragement along the way,” says Nicola. 

Nicola currently works at Beca as a mechanical engineer in the building services section, where she is proud to be involved and contribute to projects across New Zealand that support local communities by providing high-quality living and working environments. Outside of engineering, she enjoys tramping and has booked the Routeburn and Abel Tasman tracks for walks later this year.

Similar stories

Sam Grayling (Fitchett 2001-2005) leads the World Economic Forum’s Labour Market Insights in Switzerland. More...

Dr Lachlan Cooper (School 2007-2011) is passionate about encouraging keen learners to take up the challenge of working w… More...

Collegian Hannah Austin (Hall | Harington 2015-2017) has found her calling as the Agricultural Contracting Services and … More...

After an exceptional 41-year career at St Paul’s, Peter Gilbert (staff 1979-2020) isn't just retiring—he’s diving into a… More...

Julia Harney (née Frick, Harington 2009-2010) has always had an interest in healthcare and from a young age, she foresaw… More...

Most read

Artist impression of The Hive

St Paul's is thrilled to announce an exciting addition to the Hamilton Campus. More...

Ben Gilbert’s (Hall 2001-2005) journey from Hamilton to the bustling world of artificial intelligence (AI) at Microsoft is intriguing.  More...

Discover how Maddy Tims, Education & Project Manager at Thoroughbred Breeders Australia, is working in innovative programmes and about her journey fro… More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech